316SS-Al Bonded Bimetal CF Flanges
316SS to 6061-T6 Aluminum Bimetal ConFlat flanges offer users the unique ability to harness the properties of two different metal alloys in their UHV or XHV processes. LOS 316SS/Al bimetal CF flanges are available in industry-standard sizes (mini 1.33″ to 12.0″), rotatable and fixed geometries, and various bolt hole types.
With a 316 stainless steel facing, 316SS-Al bimetal flange users can capitalize on an aluminum system connection while retaining industry-standard 316SS alloy benefits such as increased strength and excellent knife edge retention. Aluminum system connections provide increased vibration dampening, decreased outgassing paths, and greater thermal conductivity and diffusivity.
- The thermal conductivity of Al is more than 10x that of stainless steel.
- The thermal diffusivity of Al is 17x that of stainless steel.
- Fast uniform bakeouts are achieved with aluminum versus stainless steel. UHV levels with most aluminum chambers can be achieved in less than 24 hours.
- The Young’s modulus of Al is approximately 1/3 of stainless steel. This means better vibration dampening.
- Al has 7 orders of magnitude less Hydrogen than stainless steel.
- Aluminum is magnetically invisible compared to stainless steel.
- Low temperature bakeout of 150°C.
- Aluminum has lower outgassing rates as compared to stainless steel.