Ti-Al Bonded Bimetal CF Flanges
Grade 2 Titanium to 6061-T6 Aluminum Bimetal ConFlat flanges offer users the unique ability to harness the properties of two different metal alloys in their UHV or XHV processes. LOS Ti/Al bimetal CF flanges are available in industry-standard sizes (mini 1.33″ to 12.0″), rotatable and fixed geometries, and various bolt hole types.
Ti-Al bimetal flange users can rely on the strength of bimetal explosion bonding to weld aluminum system connections to aluminum chambers with titanium-faced ConFlat flanges. Aluminum system connections provide increased vibration dampening, decreased outgassing paths, and greater thermal conductivity and diffusivity.
Grade 2 Titanium Features
- Lightweight and higher yield strength make it perfect for a chamber and transfer system.
- Low-z number is advantageous for installation and maintenance under high-radiation levels, compared to stainless steel.
- Low Young’s modulus is suitable for bellows components
- Low thermal expansion coefficient is advantageous for heating and makes it less prone to develop leaks during bakeout
- Non-magnetic property makes it ideal for use in applications where there is a strong magnetic field
- High corrosion resistance since the surface oxide layer is chemically stable. Titanium’s corrosion resistance and lack of reactivity makes it the most biocompatible metal.
- Low thermal conductivity and High Melting Point
- High electric resistance
- The thermal conductivity of Al is more than 10x that of stainless steel.
- The thermal diffusivity of Al is 17x that of stainless steel.
- Fast uniform bakeouts are achieved with aluminum versus stainless steel. UHV levels with most aluminum chambers can be achieved in less than 24 hours.
- The young’s modulus of Al is approximately 1/3 of stainless steel. This means better vibration dampening.
- Al has 7 orders of magnitude less Hydrogen than stainless steel.
- Aluminum is magnetically invisible compared to stainless steel.
- Low temperature bakeout of 150°C.
- Aluminum has lower outgassing rates as compared to stainless steel.